Just because we know how to communicate, it doesn’t necessarily mean we execute well. The difference between intelligent recognition of communication principles and practical application is often extreme. As a consequence the initial intended message is not delivered to its strongest impact.
A few thoughts:
1. Get an independent expert opinion on impressions you leave;
2. Have a communications coach remind you of the basics and translate those basics into permanent behaviour;
3. Prepare like an elite athlete for most common occasions:- Clear goals
- Breakdown preparation
- Prepare and train properly; and
- Analyse performance
4. Regardless of your level, seek to improve.